Friday, August 13, 2010

Ramaswami/McDermott Random Legacy ch. 23: Party to Remember


Tao visited his sister as soon as she brought home her new daughter, Josephine. He can't wait for the day when he can hold a child of his own, but Tomika changes the subject whenever he tries to talk about marriage and their future.


After he puts his niece back in her crib, Tao joins Lauren and Tracey in the living room.

"Tao, don't you ever think about moving out of Mom's house? You can't really want to stay with her now that you're an adult?"

"Sure, I've thought about it," Tao answers, "But I don't want to leave the garden behind."

Lauren rolls her eyes, "You can plant a garden anywhere."

"It wouldn't be the same. Our family has worked that land since they came to Sunset Valley. I can feel their presence in that soil. It wouldn't be the same anywhere else."


"That's just silly," Lauren laughs.

"It's not silly," Tracey defends his brother-in-law, "I feel the same way about Sacred Spleen. I could work in any hospital, but Sacred Spleen is my hospital, when I walk down the corridors, I know my father, my grandmother and my great-grandmother walked them too, saw their patients in the same rooms where I see mine. It wouldn't be the same in another hospital."



Although Tomika has avoided making any commitments to Tao, she does spend many nights at his house. Since she doesn't work, she often spends her days lounging around his house in her underwear while he tends his garden. Regan worries about her son's relationship, fearing this girl will break his heart, or worse, will end up as a permanent anchor around his neck. It's true, her family has made itself comfortable enough financially that it could support someone who didn't work, but Regan objects to laziness on principal. Even if Tomika isn't out earning money, she should be doing more than loafing on the couch watching the shopping channel.

Tomika mostly tunes out Tao's mother's lectures the way she does her own mother's, but today it makes her so physically ill, she runs to the bathroom to vomit.



When Tomika realizes she's pregnant, she's not very happy about it.



Tao is very excited about the prospect of becoming a father.

"So, my mother isn't too happy about having another baby in the house," Tomika says, "Since she has four kids still in school herself. So, I was wondering if I could stay here for awhile."

"Of course you can stay," Tao answers, "I want you and our baby with me all the time. And I think we should get married."

Tomika shakes her head, "The last thing I want to do while I'm pregnant is have a wedding."

"After the baby is born, then," Tao compromises.

"We'll talk about it." Tao doesn't like her indecisiveness, but he's sure once they are parents, Tomika will want them to be a family as much as he does.



Tao's friend Raphael announces his own impending nuptials, he's gotten engaged to his girlfriend Georgia Corcoran.

"I'm going to take her name," Raphael tells him, "The last thing I want is to pass the Goth name to another generation. Let the 'real' Goths keep their name and their estate."

"Is Regan still bothering you?"

"He's got a new girlfriend to bother," Raphael laughs, "So I'm safe for now."



Tomika and Tao have a daughter, Meilin. Tao decides to throw a party to celebrate. After the party, he will officially propose to Tomika.



Tao's best friends, Regan and Raphael are among the first guests to show up. Regan didn't bring his latest girlfriend along, usually a sign of an impending break up.

"Dude, I'm a cop!" Regan announces. Raphael couldn't be happier about Regan's change of careers, since it means he won't be seeing him in the office every day. "I couldn't take working for Landgraab anymore," he explains his career move, "Plus, sexy uniform."



Raphael did bring his lovely new wife Georgia to the party.



Lauren and Tracey came, though Lauren was heavily pregnant with their second child. She went into labor during the party and Tracey rushed her off to the hospital. He called later to tell them Lauren had a boy, named Noah.



Donovan Landgraab was invited as a courtesy to his mother. Tao makes a point of having a polite, non-confrontational conversation with him, as he'd like to get past his old animosity. Tomika takes advantage of the moment to dance with the dateless Regan Goth.



All through high school, Tomika had wanted Regan to notice her, but he was always involved with the prettier girls and had no interest in her. Now that she's got him alone at a party, she confesses her attraction, hoping they can get together.

"Ruin my best friend for you? I don't think so," Regan answers in disgust.



Tao isn't standing so far way that he can't hear what is going on behind him.



Despite being rejected, Tomika tries again. Regan still isn't having it.


"What the hell, Tomika!" an angry Tao exclaims, "We're supposed to be celebrating the birth of our child here. I was going to propose to you tonight. And you're trying to seduce my best friend?"


"I don't want to get married!" Tomika snaps, "I've told you over and over, but you just kept pressing, thinking I'd change my mind. It's not going to happen, Tao. I'm not the girl you think I am, or want me to be. I can't deal with this any more. I'm leaving!"



Tomika's sudden departure pretty much ended the party. His guests murmured uncomfortable condolences as they took their leave, and Tao was then left broken hearted, alone with his daughter.
Part of him wanted to believe Tomika would come back, but he finally understood that she meant what she said, and she was never going to love him the way he had loved her, or want to be family the way he wanted to be.

(Challenge Notes: Party to Remember achieved. I didn't post a picture of Regan playing the guitar at this party, but she did, so there was live music. I have the pic if anyone needs proof. Three course meal included Egg Roll appetizer, Dim Sum main course and Key Lime Pie dessert. There was perfect nectar served, which Regan had obtained when she was in France. There were over 5 guests: Raphael and Georgia, Regan Goth, Regina Goth, Donovan Landgraab, Lauren and Tracey, who left early on account of her labor, plus a couple of crashers. As for the drama requirement, I had the break up of course, and also a guest went into labor, which I hadn't planned for. I forgot Lauren was pregnant again when I started the party.
Meilin was born at midnight the night before the party, and Tomika moved out around 10:30pm during the party, so she was out of the house within 24 hours of the birth. So, all requirements met so far. Tao just needs to have one more child as a single parent to meet all his generation goals.
I must say, I was very proud of Regan Goth. I wasn't sure how he was going to react to Tomika's romantic advances. He has Commitment Issues, so I thought he might have gone for it, and that Tao might lose his friend over this. But he completely rejected her, so Tao at least gets to keep his friend.)

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I have so much fun reading your storys!
    You know what? I loved Regan the first time I saw him, he's amazing, love the person he is. And after what he did with Tomika, I love him even more! It's an amazing character, good that he's part of the story.
    And I really like Tao too, liked his father, and now I like him! I'll be cheering for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    I like Regan a lot, too, he's one of my favorite Sims to be born in Sims 3.
    I was very happy about how he handled the Tomika situation. I was prepared for him and Tao to get into a fight, but I was much happier when he rejected her.

    ReplyDelete